How To Choose A Funeral Director
When planning your loved one’s service, funeral directors can help you create the perfect ceremony to celebrate their life.
With so many funeral directors out there, it can be hard to know how to choose the right funeral director to give your loved one the best send-off.
We’ve put together a guide to help you choose the best funeral director for you.
We’ve added more detail to help you get the full picture below, but here’s a quick summary:
- Have an idea of your loved one’s wishes to discuss with a Funeral Director– is there a funeral plan?
- Find the Funeral Directors in your area (handy search tool here LINK)
- Find out which Funeral Directors offer the types of funeral services you would like
- Check availability of the Funeral Directors – who will in turn manage all other scheduling and dates of the funeral service
- Finally, choose a Funeral Director who feels right for you
What Does A Funeral Director Do?
Offering expert guidance on everything that goes into funeral planning for your loved one, funeral directors can help you navigate a difficult and emotional time.
Funeral directors can help you as much or as little as you choose, so you can decide whether they take care of everything or just a few arrangements.
Some of the details that funeral directors can oversee for you include:
- Talking through all your options when it comes to planning a funeral
- Handling all the admin, telephone calls and paperwork for the funeral
- Transferring, embalming and taking care of the deceased until the funeral
- Helping to arrange the ceremony, including celebrants and music
- Ordering the coffin and providing pallbearers if needed
- Overseeing the logistics of a funeral, including booking venues and filling out legal documents for cremations
- Being present on the day of the funeral to ensure everything runs smoothly
- Handling charity donations
- Offering ongoing bereavement support
Depending on your circumstances, funeral directors can also help with more complex arrangements for your loved one, including repatriation from or to a different country.
Check Your Loved One’s Wishes
If your loved one had already planned their funeral, they might have nominated a funeral director in their instructions or their will.
Funerals planned with Legacy Of Lives also have a vault section where you can store the details of a chosen funeral director, so you can honour your loved one’s wishes and give them the send-off they envisioned.
- What Useful Contacts Should You Store In Your Funeral Plan?
- What To Include In Your Funeral Plans
Decide On The Funeral Services You Need
How To Find A Funeral Director
With over 7,000 providers in the UK, there are plenty of choices when it comes to choosing a funeral director.
There are a few things that you can consider to help you find the right funeral director, so you can be sure that your loved one’s funeral is everything they would have wished it to be.
Different funeral directors will offer various services, so it’s important to know what arrangements you would like their assistance with when trying to find the right funeral director.
Whether you need help with memorial brochures or your loved one wanted flowers from a specific florist, comparing potential funeral directors against your loved one’s funeral plan can help you make the right choice.
Check Their Availability
Aside from religious services, most funerals in the UK are held around one or two weeks after your loved one has passed away.
If you, your family or your religion have specific requirements for funeral dates; it’s vital that your chosen funeral director is available to suit your needs.
Read Their Reviews
There’s no better indicator of a quality funeral director than reviews from previous customers. Check their reviews for mentions of respectful and empathetic staff, clean premises, and support before and after the ceremony.
As funeral directors aren’t officially regulated in the UK, finding a provider with excellent reviews is vital. You should also look for funeral directors who are members of the National Association of Funeral Directors or The National Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors (SAIF) — The Legacy Of Lives funeral director finder tool helps make this easy.
- Changing An Unregulated Funeral Industry
Choose A Local Funeral Director That Makes You Comfortable
Regardless of the services you need or your budget, the funeral director you choose should help put your mind at ease and support you in making the best decisions during an upsetting time.
Your chosen provider should be someone you’re comfortable talking to, that respects your loved one’s wishes, and who won’t push you into spending more than you need to.
Finding A Funeral Director With Legacy Of Lives
When you lose a loved one, having a trusted funeral director in your corner to help make the arrangements to celebrate your loved one’s life is essential.
At Legacy Of Lives, we can help to match you with the best funeral director for your needs with our free funeral director finder tool.